Wednesday, July 16, 2008

The National Kids Cancer Ride



(Warning: the above clip may cause the air around your office to get a little dusty as you sit at your computer this morning)

I received an email from my good friend Timmy D the other day. Besides being a longtime standout tender in the OTHL, Timmy has one of the biggest hearts of anyone I know. Nothing speaks to this better than the fact that he spent the first part of this summer volunteering with the Cancer Ride, driving the bus behind all of those crazy cyclists as they pedaled their way from sea to shining sea, spreading love, happiness, and awareness of the critical funding needed for child cancer research.


I had a good buddy of mine die of cancer in the 6th grade (RIP Jean Marc Knapp), so this is a cause that I hold near and dear to my heart. But I really don't think that anyone could put it better than Timmy himself:


I just finished up the most awesome journey that I must say has been life changing for me! I volunteered for the Sears National Kids Cancer Ride where 50 cyclist's rode from Vancouver to Halifax in 19 days to raise money and awareness for kids who are afflicted with childhood cancer.

Without a word of exaggeration, this is without a doubt the best thing I've ever done or been involved with in my life. I lost a nephew a very long time ago to leukemia (he would've been 23 in October...I KNOW he would've been an OTHL'er...no doubt in my mind) and this was a way for me to give back and honour his memory.


I'd also like to impose upon you if possible. A lot of people read your blog and I would be indebted to you if you would check out this link (The Final Word) especially the two You-Tube clips and if you feel it's worthy of being posted on your blog, well that would be great! Yes we are still looking for donations because we haven't reached our goal of 1.5 million as of yet, but just as important we need to continue to create awareness for the cause and we do need to begin to recruit volunteers for next year. Take it from me, it is once in a lifetime experience and as an added bonus you get to see this great country at its absolute best!


http://www.searsnationalkidscancerride.com/?page_id=238


What a great story, a worthy cause, and an incredible way to raise money.

In so many ways, their story reminds me of the story of the most heroic Canadian who ever lived: Terry Fox.

No comments: