Friday, July 4, 2008

4th of July Diversion

A little distraction for any of our American readers with the misfortune of being stranded at work on this 4th of July.


One Angry Man, by Peter J. Boyer

A fascinating piece taken from last week's New Yorker, documenting the life and work of Keith Olbermann. One of my favourite passages concerns a tirade Olbermann wrote condemning the presidency of George W. Bush:


Phil Griffin, the senior vice-president in charge of MSNBC (“Phil thinks he’s my boss,” Olbermann says), raised the matter of tone. Why did Olbermann need to end his commentary by telling the President of the United States to “shut the hell up”?

“Because I can’t say, ‘Shut the fuck up,’ that’s why, frankly,” Olbermann responded. The line stayed in.


The Book of Revelation

A great column from the National Post (June 20) in which relatively famous and important Canadians talk about the book that changed them in some more or less profound way. Everyone from Kevin Newman and Shelagh Rogers to Bob Rae and Torquil Cambell weigh in. There are few things better than a great book that has come highly recommended, and if you know and respect any of these people, there just might be something in there for you.

If I had to name my book of revelation, it would probably (and somewhat inexplicably) be The Body, by Stephen King (as expounded upon in this piece). I say 'somewhat inexplicably' because The Body is the only thing by Stephen King that I've ever managed to finish.

Thanks to Flats for the link.


Hot Chicks with Douchebags

My buddy D-Hibb sent me the link to this site a few weeks back, saying that he simply couldn't get enough of it.

The highlight for me came a few days later when the site posted this entry, poking fun at the respectable looking lad standing there with Topanga from Boy Meets World. In one of the classic twists of internet irony, that respectable looking lad was none other than Barstool's own El Presidente. His self-depricating response is sheer hilarity.


Life as a Loser #1: Intro to Life as a Loser, by Will Leitch

Just in case you didn't read it in last week's entry regarding the Will Leitch roast. This is hands down one of the best things I've come across in a long time. Absolutely hilarious and heart breaking all at once.

Nobody said that getting dumped only hours before going on a game show would be easy, but this is gut-wrenching. At least the new editor at New York Magazine can laugh about it now... sort of...



Springsteen 4th of July Song Showdown:

4th of July, Asbury Park (Sandy)



Vs.

Independence Day



Absolutely love both tracks. Trying to decide between the two would be like asking a mother to choose which one of her children she likes best. Simply impossible.

I have to say, the old footage of Asbury Park circa 1988 brings me back to a good time in my life, as the first time I ever stepped foot on the sacred Jersey Shore was that same year. And then back in 2005, my brother Ronnie, my buddy Dunner, and I made one of those male bonding pilgrimages to Asbury Park that looked eerily similar to what these guys did. Good times all around.


Happy 4th of July to all of our American friends!

No comments: