Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Public Service Announcement... Don't Vote



"I've never fought a war on drugs. I've never done shit on drugs besides played Halo 2."


I think this is a pretty solid message, and all of this applies to Canadians who will be voting on October 14th.

The only thing I don't understand is why there's a cutoff date for Americans to be registered to vote. That makes absolutely no sense to me. If I wasn't allowed to register at the polling station on election day (as is customary in Canada), I don't think I would have ever been able to cast a ballot. I'm not organized enough to mail in the $100 Rogers rebate that has been sitting on my desk for 3 months - how the hell would I ever manage to register myself?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've always voted in every election, and will likely vote in this election, but in Canada, I think a case can be made that not voting (for a reason) is actually an effective comment to the parties.

This is because our parties receive government funding on a per-vote basis, so by removing your vote, you are limited the amount of money the parties receive. With the horrendous financial status of the Liberals, it's shown that not voting for a party can have significant repercussions (now if only they'd start to think about why people don't vote for them and change).