Friday, May 8, 2009

Friday Diversion

In the past 48 hours, I have managed to acquire 4 tickets for the first two rounds of the NCAAs in New Orleans in March, my hockey team capped off a dream season by winning the third and decisive game of the OTHL finals in double-OT, and I caught Springsteen and the E Street Band absolutely rocking the shit out of the ACC (Louie Louie...? Are you kidding me?). In each case, alcohol was prominently involved. You'll have to forgive my lack of personalized write-up for each piece.

As always, here is some of the best writing I've come across over the course of the past little while.



How David Beats Goliath
By Malcolm Gladwell

A simple handbook describing how to play "insurgent basketball". Needless to say, The City All-Stars will be looking to implement the full court press next year. Because if a group of 12-year old girls can ride this style to the championship, just imagine what a group of finely tuned athletes like ourselves would be able to accomplish...

(There's much more going on in this piece than simply basketball, but you get the idea)



Confronting My Worst Nightmare
By Bill Simmons

The perfect account of just how Manny's positive test will affect Red Sox Nation. This is brilliant.



Prison Awaiting Hostile Bloggers
By David Kravets

Duly noted.

Thanks to Flats for the tip.

No comments: