Thursday, August 7, 2008
World's Greatest Drinking Game?
You will be hard pressed to find a bigger fan of Beirut than me. But I have to say, this video has me, at worst, intrigued; and at best thinking that Beer Die might just be the world's greatest drinking game.
The combination of being able to display one's elite athleticism (diving for the die off every throw) and capacity for binge drinking (chugging after a plunk in the tradition of Beirut) is almost too good to resist. It's like the biathlon of drinking games.
I will be doing more research in the coming weeks, but if the response is strong enough, we may just have to implement Beer Die as a Demonstration Sport at this year's Dornoch-a-Palooza. Stay tuned.
For a full rundown on the BBDO (Brownie's Beer Die Open) rules and regulations, check out their site: http://www.browniesbeerdieopen.com/
For a quick primer on scoring, see below:
1. Die thrown over height requirement and lands on opposing side and is not caught by opposing team is 1 POINT
2. Die thrown over height requirement and lands in opposing teams cup that is a plunk and 2 points. Opposing team at this point finishes beer.
3. Die thrown over height requirement and lands on throwers side of table and is not caught by throwing team is 1 point for opposing team
4. Die thrown over height requirement and is coming down on throwers side and is going to land on table the throwers team may attempt to catch it before it lands but if Die is dropped and was going to land on their own side that is 1 point for opposing team.
5. Die thrown and tipped by defensive team and landing on table and coming to a stop is a point for throwing team.
6. Games are played to 7 win by 2 points
7. Game being played that has a team go up by 5 to nothing is a skunk and game is over.