Wednesday, March 7, 2007

Pour One Out for Bam Bam


Originally Posted: 02/03/07





What kind of a world do we live in where a wrestling Legend like the great Bam Bam Bigelow can die, and I manage to go almost two weeks before finally hearing about it? Honestly, this should have been a bigger story. How many guys have a tattoo of flames covering their entire head and a finishing move called Greetings from Asbury Park? The man will obviously be sorely missed.



So I was doing some research, trying to find an appropriate clip of Bam Bam going toe-to-toe with LT or the '93 Royal Rumble match with The Big Bossman, and I happened to come across this clip highlighting all of the wrestlers who have died recently. What the fuck? I had no idea that the JYD and Ravishing Rick Rude were dead. And Curt Henning? No seriously: what the fuck?!?!?



I guess the moral of the story is don't ever do steroids or let people repeatedly beat the shit out of you week after week on Maple Leaf Wrestling, and don't ever let your babies grow up to be WWF Superstars. Earthquake, Yokozuna, Miss Elizabeth: all of them, gone. This is a somber day for me. I feel a little bit like I did the night I decided to test the whole toothfairy thing by not telling my parents that I was putting my tooth under my pillow, only to wake up and discover that I was short a quarter and a fulfillingly decieved normal childhood. It didn't exactly take much of an abstract intellectual leap to have Christmas ruined in the same fell swoop.



If anyone needs me, I'll be playing with my King Kong Bundy action figure and listening to the WWF Wrestling Album.

No comments: