Friday, July 3, 2009

Friday Diversion

A little light (and I mean... REALLY light) reading and listening to help you through this Friday afternoon as you steele your liver for the 4th of July/Dornochapalooza 2009 combo. As always, this is some of the best stuff I've come across over the past week, with a huge assist to the Dotcomrades.


Gazprom seals $2.5bn Nigerian Deal
BBC News

Quite possibly the worst naming-oversight in the history of the modern business world.

Thanks to Llibs for the link.


In Case of Emergency...
Dave's Place

Every Canadian baseball fan needs to get their hands on one of these.

Thanks to Flats for the tip.


Really Fantasy Baseball
By Flip Flop Fly Ball

Who wins in a one-game playoff between the Wu-Tang Clan and The E Street Band? This might be the single greatest achievement in mindless creativity I've ever had the privelege of coming across.

Thanks again to Flats


The BS Report - Part 1 Part 2
By Bill Simmons

A two-part conversation with Chuck Klosterman, touching on every subject ranging from Michael Jackson and pop culture to Twitter and the art of writing. I fantastic way to kill an hour and a half.


Michael Jackson
By Kelefa Sanneh

A brief tribute to the King of Pop which illustrates the scope of his influence, and how, for one night at least, everyone was listening to the same songs again.



In keeping with the run on MJ, the YouTube Clip of the Week is a fantastic acoustic version of Billie Jean, as sung by Chris Cornell.

2 comments:

B Cassidy said...

OK, this may be kind of long . . .

I've got to start out with this: that last entry really hasn't got much substance. (I had to get that out of the way to temper what follows.) The rest, though, is fucking gold. Gold.

I think you might possibly be my long-lost brother. Or maybe any one of several guys that I grew up playing hockey and football with. I haven't seen that TVO sign-off in years, and I still knew it by heart. I listened to my first album on one of my sisters' 18-pound, first-generation Sony Walkman when I was like eight years old. Born in the USA. I both love and hate this, but there's at least one song on every Springsteen album that I have to choke back tears for. Not only does that Edmonton Oilers footage give me chills, I've been in Rexall when that's going down (I live in Edmonton right now), and let me tell you, it is unbelievable.

And, to top it all off, your blog popped up in a search at 1:30 in the morning, as I'm trying to figure out what is potentially one of the most difficult and frustrating tasks I've ever undertaken: figure out the godforsaken Canadian publishing industry.

Now, let me be clear on this: I'm not some douchebag who's looking for a connection. I just could not believe the uncanny similarities between you and me, and I guess, on some level, your existence is heartening to me. It's sure as hell entertaining, if nothing else.

I haven't read too far back in the Blog yet, but I can assure you I'll be back. (Excerpt from Chapter 1 is fucking fantastic, by the way . . .)

Sean McCallum said...

Thanks for reading B. I'll do what I can to keep it coming...