Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Terrible Beer... Great Commercials

While watching Team Canada dominate the gold medal game at the World Junior Hockey Championships last night, I saw that "Unwritten Code" commercial for Molson Canadian for the hundredth time and thought to myself: "You know what? These guys make some pretty damn good commercials". Sure, I have yet to meet anyone over the age of 19 who actually drinks the piss they pass off as beer, but still... At the very least, the good people at Molson need to be commended for their marketing genius. And I know that all of the Canadian readers out there will have surely seen these ads a thousand times, but for our countless international dotcomrades, here is a sampling of some of the most entertaining beer commercials to have graced the Canadian airwaves over the past few years.

(Let the record show that I abhor everything about those "My Name is Joe, and I Am Canadian Commercials", as well as any of the other asinine ploys to play on the alleged ignorance of our neighbours to the south. Those commercials just basically sicken me.)


"Chasing Beaver" - I don't even know if this was ever allowed to air, but it is brilliant.




"Your Sister" - Pretty sure I had this exact conversation with a buddy on New Year's Eve.




"I'm So Mad At My Boyfriend" - Ummm... If this doesn't get you off the couch, nothing will.




"Unwritten Code - Part I" - This commercial implies that there exists some kind of an ice scraper beyond a man's arm... Mysterious 'ice scraper' had yet to be identified at the time of publication.




"Unwritten Code - Part II" - I can unequivocally say that I have one, have gone on many, am proud to know one, have felt equally bad, have used with surprising success, always do, agree that it can, have been more than I'd like to admit, and most certainly have without any reservations whatsoever... In short, if I had 30 seconds to introduce myself to someone, I'd basically just play this commercial for them and then buy a round of Steamwhistles.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great Beer... Great commercials!