Friday, January 16, 2009

Friday Diversion

Editor's Note: I was about two-thirds of my way through this thing last night when the power went out across much of Toronto. My place was without electricity until about 10 o'clock this morning, which is why this thing is so late. My apologies. Maybe you can read it on Monday. And for the recrod, the Land of Talk show at the 'shoe was fantastic (they still had power) - huge tip of the cap to the guys at A&C for pulling some strings to get me into the sold out show.

A little something to help pass the time as you attempt to unfreeze your external plumbing this morning. I have to aplogize for the abbreviated commentary on this week's Diversion, but the entire staff here at seanmccallum.com is off to the Land of Talk show at The Legendary Horseshoe Tavern. And by "the entire staff here at seanmccallum.com is off to the Land of Talk show at the Legendary Horseshoe Tavern", what I mean is: I'm going to the Land of Talk show tonight. As always, this is some of the best stuff I've come across over the course of the past week, the vast majority coming by way of the dotcomrades.



Born to Run? Little Ones Get Test For Sports Gene>

By Juliet Macur

For any psychotic parents who want to know whether or not they have the next Lebron James on their hands. Of course, this test isn't infallible, and imagine the loss the world would have suffered had my parents tested me, only to invariably find my subsequent failing so miserable that they in turn decided to remove me from all competitive sports... The OTHL would have been short one borderline serviceable second line left winger, and the hockey world just wouldn't be the same.

Thanks to Unkle Mike for the link.



Transitioning

By Hendrik Hertzberg

A look into the most eagerly anticipated inauguration of our generation.



His Fists Are Up and His Guard is Down

By Pat Jordan

In light of Mickey Rourke's touching acceptance speech at the Golden Globe Awards on Sunday, here is a gut wrenching look at the life that led the man to his role in "The Wrestler", and why he wasn't kidding when he thanked his dogs by way of saying: "Sometimes when a man's alone, that's all you've got is your dog."

Thanks to Unkle Mike for the link



The 44 Places to Go in 2009

Compiled by Seth Sherwood and Gisela Williams

This piece may be useful for those looking to do some travelling in 2009, but the real reason I'm linking to it is because of #37. Smack dab between Kazakhstan and Madagascar... Nothing says "exotic adventure destination" like The Queen City.

Thanks to Flats for the incredulous observation.



Win, Win, Win, Win, Win...

By Thomas L. Friedman

An explanation for why lower gas prices are the worst thing for our environment and our economy; a fact I've long argued, but with not nearly the same expertise as Friedman.

Thanks to Browner for the piece.



You Can't Fire Me, I'm Drunk!

Reason #4,156 to move to Peru.

Thanks to Flats for the excuse to engage in the 3 Martini lunch.

No comments: