Saturday, December 1, 2007

Breaking News: Dalton McGuinty is THE MAN

On September 3, 2007, it was reported that the sitting ministry had proposed the introduction of Family Day, to be held annually in February. On October 11, 2007, Premier Dalton McGuinty, the day following the re-election of his party to a majority in the Legislature, announced that Family Day had been created via Order-in-Council of Lieutenant Governor David Onley, and would occur on the third Monday of February, effective beginning in the year 2008. The first Family Day in Ontario will be on February 18, 2008. This Family Day brings Ontario's long weekend total up to nine, which is equal to Saskatchewan, Alberta, British Columbia, and the territories.


So maybe this isn't exactly breaking news, but for me, it came as a sort of revelation while walking down College Street today. I felt like Homer Simpson standing in line for the free keg of beer he was in the process of accepting in return for the concession of his union's dental plan...

What most of you don't know (and really, how could you?), is that February 18th, 2008 is my 30th birthday. That's right. And for my money, nothing says "the magic of family" quite like going out and drinking to the point of inducing vomit and then ending up at Sang's for cold tea and General Tso's chicken at four in the morning.

In life, there are few things more depressing than turning 30. It's tough to pretend you're still trying to "find yourself" as an idealistic twenty-something when your driver's lisence clearly states that you're closer to 40 than that night you turned 19 and puked into your hands at Philthy McNasty's. Tough to believe, I know. But the one thing that is clearly more depressing than the above-mentioned statement of fact is having to turn 30 on a Monday... in February. But not anymore.

So thank you Dalton. You have made my impending suicide-contemplating jaunt into middle-age slightly more palatable. And for that, I owe you huge.

In retrospect, maybe I should have given you more thought when I voted this last time around. I find it difficult to imagine the Green Party granting me such consolation.

No comments: